Friday, September 14, 2007

Questions for God

This past week in our freshman smallgroup, we asked the question: "If you could ask God one question and get an answer, what would you ask?"

After thoughtful consideration in smaller groups, some of the questions people brought to the table:

  • If God created man in His image, why are we so messed up?
  • Why is there so much suffering and evil in the world? Why do the good guys seem to lose, and the bad guys win? Why do people who try so hard end up failing?
  • If there's a God, why did He create us?
  • What's my purpose? What's my goal?
  • Why does God allow violence in the world?
  • What is love?
  • Is God personal or obscure?
There were more, of course. But that's it for now. Maybe we'll have a chance to answer some of them this semester.

In addition to the "God-questions", I also left room for people to ask questions about our group and what we do in general. One of the guys asked, "Is it true girls aren't allowed at smallgroup?" At first I thought he was just joking. It reminded me of a Calvin & Hobbes cartoon, but actually, I think he really wants to know. So I'll make sure we have time to talk about it at our next meeting on Wednesday.

On another note, looking forward to basketball on Saturday morning @ the RSF. The sophomores said they want a piece of the freshmen.

No comments: