Monday, February 23, 2009

DT Questions for this week: Luke 10

Since our servers have been down (for Gracepoint Fellowship Church), our access to this week's Devotion questions have also been down. Never fear, however, here they are (courtesy Pastor Jonathan's weblog):

Monday, February 23
Luke 10:1-8
• Why does Jesus send the disciples ahead of him? (Cf. Luke 3:4-6)
• Jesus saw this world as a harvest field. Some people view the world as a place to make one’s mark; others, as a place full of dangers and threats; others, as simply the context for their personal agendas. What is my view of the world? Contrast this to how Jesus views this world.
• How does this challenge my view of what I should be doing with my life?

Tuesday, February 24
Luke 10:1-8
• Why does Jesus tell them to ask God to send out workers into his harvest field?
• What does Jesus’ statement, “I am sending you out like lambs among wolves”, say about the nature of kingdom work?
• What is ironic about Jesus telling them to not take anything right after telling them that he is sending them out like lambs among wolves?
• What should be the attitude of the disciples about basic necessities of life?
• How were the disciples going to be provided for?

Wednesday, February 25
Luke 10:9-16
• Why were the disciples told to treat those who do not welcome them so harshly?
• What is the relationship between the miracles performed in these cities (Korazin, Bethsaida) and their responsibility on the day of judgment? What warning does this have for me?
• What does it mean when he says “the kingdom of God is near”? Am I living my life in view of this fact?
• How does v.16 elevate my responsibility as a Christian? Do I understand my role in the lives of unbelievers?

Thursday, February 26
Luke 10:17-21
• Contrast the source of joy described in v.17 and in v.20. What lesson is there here about the key to having lasting joy?
• What are “these things” that are hidden from the wise and learned?
• Contrast the attitudes of the “wise and learned” to that of the “little children.” In what ways am I like the “wise and learned?”
• How is blessing defined in this passage? Do I see that I possess the greatest blessing in life?

Friday, February 27
Luke 10:30-37
• What underlying attitude of the heart is behind the response of the priest and the Levite when they saw the half-dead man?
• What rationalizations might they have given for their avoidance?
• What is significant about the fact that it was the Samaritan and not the priest or the Levite who ended up helping this man in need?
• According to this parable, what is Jesus’ answer to the question “Who is my neighbor”?

Saturday, February 28
Luke 10:30-37
• List what the robbers did to the man and analogize it to what sin does to people.
• List what the Samaritan man did for the dying man and analogize it to what Jesus does for people.
• In what ways was Jesus like this Good Samaritan for me?
• In what ways is the “inn” a fitting picture of the church?

Sunday, March 1
Luke 10:38-40
• How might have Martha felt about herself and about Mary as she was busy with “all the preparations”?
• What is the irony of Martha’s question to Jesus, “Lord, don’t you care?”
• Would she have felt this way towards Jesus if Mary were not in the scene?
• When do I have this kind of Martha-like mentality?

Luke 10:41
• What does Martha’s bitterness reveal about her priorities?
• What can we learn about the difference between Martha’s and Jesus’ evaluation of Mary’s priorities?
• What is the “one thing” Jesus is referring to?
• What are the “many things” in my life that distract me from focusing on my relationship with God?

No comments: