Monday, April 20, 2009

Gracepoint Berkeley's Worldview Camp & SummerFest

For you guys thinking about what to do with your summer, check out Worldview Camp, an annual tradition for college students to take a couple days to train and equip their minds with some of the most relevant current topics:

  • Abortion
  • Euthanasia
  • Intelligent Design, Evolution, Science and Faith
  • Sexual Ethics, and more...
Special Guest Speaker is Sean McDowell, son of famous Christian apologist, Josh McDowell. Sean joined us about a month ago and gave a riveting 15-minute presentation on having a reason to believe. I'm looking forward to him leading this year's Worldview Camp! Signups are online. If you've never gone to one, I encourage you to do this! We spend 4 years getting smart at Cal. Take a couple days and get smart about Christ and our culture.

This summer, we're putting on SummerFest for ImpACT (Impaction Asian Communities for Tomorrow), a non-profit organization aimed at academically and personally enriching underprivileged kids from Oakland elementary schools. SummerFest is going to be awesome, but we're going to need plenty of help from volunteers, everything from drivers to lunch prep to team leads to teachers, and much more. If you're interested, check out SummerFest Info and Signups page online.

If anyone in H.1 or H.8 have participated in either, comment away!

2 comments:

K Ding said...

I was in Springfest (Same thing as Summerfest but during the Spring semester) last year and it was one of the most memorable experiences I've had. Seeing the kids come every morning with an expectation to learn and have fun was really exciting and encouraging for me as a team lead. If you are not planning to do much during that week of summer, I strongly urge everyone to participate, not only serve the underprivileged children of our community, but also as an opportunity to be role model/mentor in their lives and show them the love of Christ. I also had the privilege of seeing some of these same kids transition from Springfest into our Impact program, and it was simply a joy seeing them come week after week even after the Springfest was over. So sign-up!

kevan said...

hey Kevin, thanks for sharing! I remember when I was a Team Lead during my soph year in college. I remember thinking I was going to serve the kids and impart to them some great experience and a doting, mentor-like older brother. I found, however, that I was actually the one who received a lot more: learning about God's heart for children, understanding more their family and socioeconomic backgrounds, and having a greater awareness of what big role I can play in a person's life just by caring for them.