Sunday, April 20, 2008

Brandon’s First Moving Violation

So if you guys don’t know already, before the Friday Bible Study on April 18th, Brandon received a ticket for a traffic violation. This is the story:

Before Bible Study on April 18th, Brandon and I were deciding on our mode of transportation. Having not skateboarded in over a week, I passionately desired to ride my longboard down to First Pres. Brandon, however, preferred the alternative labor-inducing mode of walking and was firmly against us skateboarding. After much fervor debate, I came out victorious and convinced Brandon to skateboard down. Not having ridden his skateboard for over a month, Brandon was in for an adventure.

When you don’t skateboard for over a month, I guess you get really anxious to do it again because without any hesitation, Brandon starts zooming down the hill as if he owned this territory. Unable to catch up to his pace, I leisurely went down behind him. When we reached the intersection of Channing and Bowditch (where Crossroads is),

View Larger Map
we saw an accumulation of cars lined up at the stop signs. Being as anxious and crazy as he was, Brandon decides to pass the intersection without stopping. However, Brandon didn’t realize that he cut off the car turning into his lane forcing the car to make a quick stop. Another thing that Brandon finally came to the realization to was that the car that he caught off was a cop car. Without any hesitation, the cop pulled Brandon over with his flashing lights and megaphone saying “SKATEBOARDER, STOP!” After observing this, I didn’t have the slightest bit of courage to skateboard down anymore and hid behind an apartment complex watching what was going on. I eventually walked down the sidewalk and passed them but the cop ended up talking to Brandon for about 15 minutes. The cop told Brandon that he ran the stop sign and also, that he was supposed to be skateboarding on the sidewalks when they were available. Another factor to take into account is the fact that Brandon cut the cop off which probably didn’t go to well with him.

In the end, we were late for Bible Study and Brandon received his first ticket ever of an amount that we are still not sure of. The cop never had to deal with such an issue that he didn’t know how much the violation cost. He told Brandon to call the police department to figure out how much his ticket is going to be. Now, Brandon is determined to NEVER longboard again and plans to sell his skateboard soon. So, if you guys are looking into buying a used longboard that is in good condition still, you know who to contact! This story is a fair warning to all skateboarders out there to never cut off police cars even when you are late to Bible Study because a cop will pull you over and you’ll be late anyway.

8 comments:

maurice said...

Brandon, if it makes you feel any better, a few years ago when I was a junior (ok, a lot of years ago), I was riding my skateboard (the old kind, none of this fancy longboard action like you younguns have these days) down through Sather Gate - this was soon after they instituted that 'no-ride/dismount' zone at Berkeley - and right when I got through the gate, a cop who had been hiding behind one of the posts, flicked on his red and blue lights and started up his siren, and blasted off toward me. This was on his bicycle. It was like a speed trap for skateboarders. I think my ticket was $20 but then again, it was a while ago so the price might have gone up =)

But with all the frosh riding their cool longboards, I've been having half a mind to get one myself. Brandon, hit me up with an email!

kevan said...

This is too funny. I think Brandon should be the poster-boy for UC Police. Or we can start a petition for Brandon: longboarders unite.

By the way, I felt compelled to add the actual photo of said accident so everyone is duly warned.

Steven said...

Dude Brandon, you're a criminal! I hope your ticket isn't as expensive as mine was ($159, can you believe it?!!) Maybe if you had run into the cop car you could've given him a ticket instead.

Anyway, I think selling the board would be a good idea, because I got a ticket for riding my longboard and I got it stolen before I could even sell it!

K Ding said...

I didn't know moving violations existed. I think the cop was just really angry but at least you didn't get run over. Hope the ticket doesn't cost too much.

parkben said...

Brandon, as much as i'm sorry for your misfortune, couldn't help but snicker as i read the post. :) It reminds me of a guy i knew a few years ago who got a ticket for jaywalking--yes, jaywalking--in berkeley... Well, it turns out he quite deserved it as he was listening to music and was talking on his phone, oblivious to an accident he'd almost caused when a bunch of cars had to brake suddenly for him...

Anonymous said...

How much did the ticket end up costing? I just got a skateboarding ticket, any word would be very nice, thank you,

Vernan.

BT said...

haha, very expensive - $158

kevan said...

man... how does a broke college student pay for that? that's 26 dinners at Ghetto.